Sunday, April 8, 2012

Motivational Mondays: Throwing out "I can't"


I hope you're ready...'cause things just got real.

Lately I've been rejecting my own medicine. When I realized this, I can't tell you how disappointed I was with myself! I preach "Practice what you preach", but I wasn't practicing that. 

The obstacle? Even more embarrassing...writing. 
In order for me to graduate [period] I have to write 10 articles and they have to get published by school newspapers/ magazines or any newspaper/ magazine. Basically, I was developing this feel of having my stuff published. I literally would sit and come up with lame excuses as to why I "couldn't" do it, but became conflicting because just as soon as I thought I couldn't, I would discover a reason why I could. Make since?

For example, I would say to myself "I can't have my work published in the newspaper because my AP style writing is nowhere where it needs to be." A few seconds would past and then I would here my professors voice in my head saying "The editors will fix what you don't have a grasp on." or "Once you start getting more involved in the paper you'll get better at it". This would usually be followed by visions of the A's I've been receiving on articles I've written in class. 

Then there was the "I can't because they (newspaper/mag editors) won't give me a story." Response "Have you really been trying to get a story Jasmin? Have you done everything in your power to get a story?"

The latest one? "I just can't" Response? I actually could find one. I was literally raking my brain trying to figure out why I "just couldn't". Why? There's no reason why I couldn't write those even one article. 

Rather than staying in my comfort zone I decided to switch angles. Rather than going to the newspaper editors I went to the magazine editor who gave me a story not even an hour later, no questions asked. The story was due a few Sundays at midnight so I only had a few days to find some sources and put together a 1000 word article. Did I mention I know absolutely nothing about writing magazine articles (no really we haven't covered that chapter yet lol) and it's freaking Easter Sunday so I was pretty much on "e" because my story was a feature on a local black hair salon -___-. Yea...when it raise it pours! 

I challenged myself. Like in "Yes Man" if anyone's every seen that? Anywho, I told myself that I could do it.i forced myself into mentally thinking I could do it, feeling it in every bone n my body and pushing out any doubts that I couldn't. Don't get me wrong...it did pour. Time was running short, I had to work two 8hr shifts this wee at work so that cut into time. The salon manager told me she wouldn't be able to do an interview Saturday because the Salon would be to busy...all the odds were against me. I just kept telling myself "Things will work their way out...they always do". I just kept telling myself "I can do this." 

Behold, as I am typing this it is now 12:31AM. The article is complete and I still have my sanity...I did it. I was able to get over my insecurity and..I did it :). 

Lesson (and now your challenge)? Dish out the words "I can't" but for real this time. Like really...do it. There is absolutely nothing that can hold you back accept yourself....seriously....

~peace~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...