Sunday, May 20, 2012

Scholarly Sundays: Black History.."Slave Songs of the U.S."

One of the classes I am taking this summer is African-American Music. During the next 6 weeks (Well...four now...) we will be cruising through the different eras of music pertaining to the history of African-Americans. 

We started with slave songs, spirituals, and code songs and are now moving into ragtime, blues and jazz. In class, we watched this short documentary and I had to share. I feel like knowing OUR history is so important, especially because in most cases it gets swept under the rug. I am so grateful for my experience at an HBCU (historically black college/ university) because unfortunately at PWC (predominately white colleges) I feel like the history of blacks aren't catered to enough...

Even since elementary school I don't feel like we weren't taught the depths of slavery and thus couldn't understand the HUGE impact it has had on us. Before I got to college, my lessons on black history was very general. White people took Africans people who they basically thought we're heathens, stuffed them on a boat, and brought them to America. Slavery was bad. People got hung. KKK. Harriet Tubman. 

I was until I finally got to college that I learned in Africa we weren't wild, caveman like "heathens". We were kings and queens. We were the originators of so many things that accredited to other nationalities. It wasn't until I got to college that I saw EXTREMELY graphic pictures and documentaries of the brutalities that enslaved Africans faced. smh...

I say all this to say..do YOUR research. Know YOUR history. Appreciate where we have come. Grow. But most importantly, share... 

Please...




***If you are looking for scholarships/ internships I am waiting on you! When I get your request then I will post! Otherwise, I have no clue which to post :( Don't sleep on this free money! Remember all you have to do is reply to this post (or any post for that matter) saying what your major is! THAT'S IT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...