Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: How I survived my vegetarian weeks


Ok let's recap! The first week of March, I went on a 7 day cruise in which I through all my healthy eating habits  overboard. I definitely paid for it when I got back home only to discover that I felt sluggish, my metabolism had slowed down and I gained 5lbs. Why did I become so obsessed with shaking these 5lbs? 1. I needed to get my self-discipline back or else those habits would continue which meant more than likely I would continue to gain weight on to high of an increasing rate. 2. I aspire to be a bikini/fitness model so the gut had to go.

I challenged myself to be vegetarian for a week but what ended up happening was I bought more than enough groceries which managed to keep my fridge full for about 2 weeks. After I completed the second week [and lost the 5lbs] I had every intention of starting back up with my fish and ground turkeys, but when ever I reach for it in the freezer I felt guilty! Not the guilt from eating some poor little fluffy animal (because I love meat as much as the next person). I felt guilt like I was cheating on my challenge. Thus, I continued to my "vegetarianism" into week 3. 

I'm not declaring vegetarian (as a matter of fact, the other night I went out with some friend I had 4 chicken wings lol --and later felt guilty about it?!?!). I'm not sure how long I will keep this up! Especially since Theresa over at The fame of health and fitness is about to make April's fitness challenge a vegetarian month -__-. We shall see! 

Here's a list of some of the things I've been eating:
  • home-made soup in my Betty Crocker crockpot. (carrots, celery, parshnips, potatoes, onions) 
  • Salads with spinach rather than ice berg lettuce (spinach has more nutrients). I usually sweet peppers, carrots, almonds and a teaspoon or so of organic light Goddess dressing
  • smoothies with yogurt and frozen fruits
  • protein shakes ( this month I am trying out vanilla Whey rather than my syntha 6, so far, not in love with it
  • whole fruits (bananas, apples, oranges)
  • protein pancakes
  • hard boiled eggs
  • pasta variations (as in I'll add random veggies to my pasta..usually no sauce)
  • sweet potato fries
  • Organic peanut butter and jelly sandwiches :) (I've actually been slowing down on the pb&js since I've been introduced to the protein pancakes
  • veggie/ soy patties ( I haven't been eating them as burgers, I usually cut them up and add them to my salad or pasta.


Here are the two brands that I tried over the past two weeks. Each pack contains 4 patties. I honestly prefer Morning Star rather than the  Boca brand. Here's my review/comparison:
  • Both are of good quality and the actually really do resemble meat (which really helped get through the weeks) However, Morning Star cost more than the Boca brand
  • Both "chicken patties" taste like chicken, but I prefer the M.S. They seem to have more flavor like McDonalds or where the Boca Burgers remind me of Wendy's chicken. *disclosure I don't eat fast food but I remember always favoring Mickey Ds chicken rather than Wendys*
  • I've always been a fan of morning starts Veggie patties so those work delish as expected. Maybe this portion of the review isn't fair though because I haven't gotten to the Boca Veggie patty yet so sit tight.
When I buy again I'll be sticking to Morning Star (at least the "chicken"). I prefer there taste. However, if you are looking to save a dollar and some change, you may want to go with Boca. 

*I purchased everything from Walmart with my own money :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...